Parents play a pivotal role in the education of their children. Parental involvement through the years has been in the decline because of different reasons such as mistrust of the educational system, absence of empowerment, and conflicts with work are named as the cause. These are some ways in which teachers and schools can perform to intensify parental involvement:
- Take advantage of communication channels with parents. The key to the success of any relationship especially that of parents and teachers is communication. The best medium of communication is conversing in person. The advent of technological advances has made this easier through emails, weekly newsletter, memoranda in addition to the traditional methods of sending letters.
- Be creative in motivating involvement of parents. Schools have to be creative in seeking parental involvement. It is crucial that parents and the school realize that they are building a partnership that will be crucial to the success of their children. There are instances when conference between parent and teacher is enough. However, there are also cases when there should be more effort than this. An example is home visitation.
- Incorporate social services in school outreach program. Most probable reasons of want of parental involvement include problems in the socio-economic status of low income communities. Schools can incorporate finding and providing jobs in the school’s outreach programs. The health and wellness of a family should also be given priorities by schools as families that are well have a greater probability of being more involved. Schools can form linkages with social service organizations to provide jobs.
- Allow flexibility of schedules. Schools should organize parent-teacher conferences a month long event instead of a one day affair. This can increase parental involvement as this allows flexibility of schedules of the parents with the school. Parents can be asked for specific schedules that they can in order that they will not compete for the same time slot with conferencing with the teacher.
- Solicit ideas from parents. Parents become more involved with the school if the school seeks out their input through surveys and other modes of communication. Involvement becomes easier if parents are part of the process.
In conclusion, the success of a child’s educational journey involves both schools and parents. Both parents and teachers should recognize that their cooperation is important to reaching this goal. Parental involvement is the key to this mission. Parents, be involved.
Discipline is one of the most important things in life. It is during early childhood that the virtue of discipline is taught. Young children realize the value of discipline because of the role schools play. New teachers as well as veteran teachers should be equipped with the proper classroom discipline strategies. One important aspect of teaching is classroom discipline management.
Tips and Strategies in Classroom Discipline
New teachers should remember that making an impression upon students is an important classroom management strategy. Children often judge their teacher’s ability based on the first few minutes. Children should never reveal any weaknesses. Teachers should be able to control their body language. Teachers should be a balance of a person who is approachable yet strict.
The main reason why problems arise is that students do not clearly understand the teacher’s instructions. Problems regarding discipline come from ambiguous instructions. Children should understand simple instructions and not complex ones. One of the most effective classroom management techniques is giving clear and precise instructions.
Peace and order inside a classroom starts with creating a plan and sticking to it every day. Teachers should be clear on the type of behavior that is expected from kids. Teachers should emphasize that misbehavior is not tolerated. Misbehavior should always be corrected. Reliability and consistency are important in daily classroom management.
Maintain Interruptions at a Minimum
Children who disrupt a class desire to stop the learning process. These children are not interested in the lesson and they want to avert the attention of the class. These misbehaviors include talking among themselves or making fun of other children. Teachers should not entertain them as they will be encouraged to do these. One strategy is to ask one of these children a question so that the lesson will maintain its continuity. There will be loss of teaching time if such interruptions are entertained.
Have a Sense of Humor
One of the smartest ways to deal with misbehavior is humor. Tension can easily be resolved by having a good laugh. However, teachers should not mix humor with sarcasm and they should refrain from making fun or humiliating children.
Do not have Favorites
Teachers should be fair and avoid having favorites. Teachers should treat everyone with equality even with children who are the least favorites. Children can easily detect whether their teachers like them or not.
This does not imply that a teacher should have a new classroom management plan daily. This just means that teachers should not carry grudges. Do not assume that children who disrupted the class the other day would also disrupt class the next day. Always treat each day with a new perspective.
Teachers who implement these classroom discipline strategies correctly will face little problems regarding class discipline. Becoming a teacher who employs correct classroom discipline strategies will be able to maintain proper classroom decorum the whole year round.